In case of a major disaster, the Kiawah Island Architectural Review Board (ARB) has adopted procedures to expedite project review and approval immediately following the event, thus facilitating tree removals, repairs, and rebuilding while maintaining Kiawah’s standards for excellence. As always, the ARB and its staff intend to work closely and cooperatively with each applicant to restore our living environment.
- No approval is required to remove trees that are uprooted, trees that have fallen across structures, trees that have fallen on the ground, or leaning trees that are in danger of falling.
- To repair damage to a structure that restores it to the previously existing condition, please complete the Construction Application form available here to receive an ARB building permit. No fee or deposit is required if there are no changes, but you must notify the ARB office once repairs are completed.
- For changes or modifications from previously existing conditions during repairs (such as changes to roofing, landscaping, paint color, or exterior materials, etc.), please submit to the ARB Office for improvement review and approval. Fees and deposits will apply for changes during repairs.
- Demolition and rebuilding will be subject to ARB review and to Town and County permitting process due to potential changes required by current guidelines, ordinances, or applicable building codes. Expedited ARB review procedures may apply.
- If you have house plans, it is recommended that you bring a hard copy of the plans with you during an evacuation or render the plans to a CD ROM so they can be easily transported and protected from the weather.